|←Chapter 2||Chapter 3||Chapter 4→|
Chapter 3, ''Haunted'' / ''Isolation'' starts roughly eight hours until dawn.
The player controls Ashley as she conducts the seance, Mike, as he and Jessica make their way to the guest cabin, Ashley yet again after the seance, and finally Chris as he explores the secret room behind the bookshelf.
The spirit board will spell out the letters ''HELP''.
- If Ashley chooses to ask how they can help, the board will spell out the letters "WARNING."
- If Ashley chooses to ask who it is, the board will spell out "SISTER."
- If Ashley had chose to ask how they help before, she has a chance to ask what the spirit is warning them about or who it is. Both choices will spell out the word "SISTER."
Regardless, Ashley will either apologize, or ask what happened, and will follow up by asking either who killed them, or how they died. Once Chris and Ashley figured they should go down the basement to look for proof, the pointer flips off the table suddenly, and Josh assumes either Chris or Ashley is playing a prank on him and storms off, because of his anger and grief for his sisters.
View the chapter's transcript here.
View the therapy session after the chapter here.
After hearing Jessica screaming, Mike rushes to find her. As he wanders through the woods, she pops out at him and reveals that it was just a prank she was playing on him, recorded on her phone. Mike can respond angrily or flirtatiously to Jessica's revelation.
As they walk away, a creature with thermal vision watches them from a distance. If they go back the way they came, Mike can find a carving on a tree with the initals E+M inside a heart. Mike can confess to Jessica about it or he can try to deny that it wasn't him and he will blame it on Emily.
On their path to the guest cabin, Mike hears a noise. He can choose to throw a small rock to lure the creature into the open, despite Jessica's protests that nothing is there or remain still. Either way, an elk will dash in front of them, scaring both Mike and Jessica.
Further down the path, Mike finds an old shed containing a mask. He can choose to scare Jessica with it as revenge from her earlier prank or show it to Jessica, who will be unimpressed. If Mike decides to prank Jessica, he will pop out behind her while wearing the mask, causing her to fall into the river and, later on, refuse to have sex with him.
As they progress to the cabin, Jessica and Mike find a dying deer lying over a tree branch. Mike can comfort the deer or decapitate it, horrifying Jessica. Either way, the deer's body is suddenly flung from the branch. Mike and Jessica frightfully start sprinting towards the cabin.
As they're running, Mike must react fast enough to make a jump over gap in the path. Soon afterwards, he has the option to climb a cliff to get to the cabin or follow the path. If he climbs the cliff, he must react quickly again to help Jessica climb up. Right before Mike and Jessica get to the cabin, Jessica trips and falls to the floor. Mike can either help her or unlock the door.
- Jessica will take control herself if Mike fails to make any decisions in time.
Once they're inside, they conclude that it was a bear chasing them and begin to relax. Jessica insists that Mike set up romantic lighting and a fire before they proceed to have intercourse.
If Mike had antagonized Jess throughout the chapter, she will find ways to avoid them having sex, but Mike still has the chance to try and seduce her. Jess might want a blanket and she will ask Mike to close the shutters. She will talk about her being insecure, which Mike can dismiss or he can be understanding. Jessica will start to get cozy and Mike makes his move on her.
This is interrupted as they hear a window smashing by the bedroom, and Mike finds Jessica's phone playing music on the floor. She is furious, believing this to be a prank by the others, and storms outside to yell at them and exclaims that they are going to have sex. As she goes back inside, she is instantly pulled out of the window and dragged off.
- Old Mask - Can be found by Mike in the old shed by the river.
- Native American Book - Can be found by Mike on a stand in the guest cabin.
- Tennis Photo - Can be found by Mike in the guest cabin on the small table.
- Danger Totem #2 - Turn left by the old truck, and Mike can find Danger Totem #2, showing a hoard of deer closing in.
- Guidance Totem #3 - After Mike and Jess had a conversation about Jess's prank to Mike, he can find Guidance Totem #3 right in front of the starting point, showing Sam climbing up a wall next to a water wheel.
After the seance, Chris and Ashley discuss whether they thought Hannah or Beth was actually communicating with them, and Ashley comments that she doesn't know if she wishes they were or weren't, and they go to find out.
Ashley will look around the library for clues until a couple of books fall off the bookshelf, revealing a hidden button. Ashley pushes the button and the bookcase reveals a secret passage. Ashley will ask if they should take a look and will hand the candle to Chris, telling him to go first.
- Hannah's Glasses Case - Before going down the stairs, turn back to the back room overlooking the library and Ashley can find Hannah's glasses case on a table on the right.
- Light From Below - Ashley can find a mysterious light coming from the floor vent on the left of the library room with the door to the hallway.
Chris will walk in to the hidden room and can find a picture of Beth and Hannah with a threatening letter on the back. Ashley will ask Chris what he had found, and he shows Ashley the letter or he lies in order to protect her. Ashley takes a look at it if he lets her see and she tells him that they need to find Josh. They head towards the hall and stop to talk:
- Chris will always bring up the Victor Milgram Poster.
- He can also bring up the Answerphone Message.
- He can also mention the Light from Below.
- He can mention the Newspaper Fragment.
- He can briefly mention that he found the threatening letter if he let Ashley see the letter from before.
Suddenly, the door rumbles and Josh starts yelling. Ashley rushes towards the door before being pulled in, the door slammed shut behind her. Chris tries to get in, only to find out the door is locked.
After Ashley's screaming stops, Chris manages to bust the door open and finds an unconscious Ashley laying on the ground. A masked assailant will punch Chris in the face, knocking him out, and afterwards will drag Ashley away.
- Light from Below - If Ashley did not already find this, Chris can see an electric light shining below the library.
- Portrait Photo - Chris can find a picture of Beth and Hannah in a secret room.
- Threatening Letter - Chris can find a threatening letter at the back of the portrait photo.
- Native American Letter - After the first door is creaked open, turn left at the end of the hall, and Chris can find a letter written by Josh's mother.
- Tied with Chapter 6, this chapter has 10 collectibles able to be found.
- Along with Chapter 6, this chapter has the 5th most collectibles able to be found.
- Additionally, it is possible that Josh is actually the one controlling the board and not a spirit. This can be inferred due to the fact that whether or not you ask if the spirit is Hannah or Beth, both answer yes. Additionally, once Josh storms off, it gives him time to prepare for Ashley and Chris later on.
- Moreover, the picture that eventually can be found behind the bookshelf is rather odd, from what is written on the picture that Chris and Ashley find it would appear that someone was out to get Hannah and Beth. But, this is most likely not the case, as Hannah and Beth were running from a Wendigo/The Stranger in the Prologue. So this picture was also most likely staged and written by Josh to instill fear.